Wednesday 15 July 2009

Day 1- Arriving at Tenerife

So the day started off getting up at stupid-o'clock to leave for Gatwick airport. My dad picked up Marnie and then Bex and then we were off on our way. Me and Bex were excited but Marnie seemed rather worried. She was most worried about her ears because she knows they get bad of airplanes because of the pressure and she'd forgot her ear spray. I also noticed she had her mobile phone. Bad mistake for many reasons, the first being it's good to detatch yourself from home, if you stay in contact with home it can make you more homesick, you kinda need the independance sometimes. Secondly, I didn't want her to be texting her boyfriend the whole holiday and she often gets stressed out with him. But anyway, it was her choice.

The flight was nice and smooth, there were no delays but it was a 4 hours flight which isn't too bad but it did get rather boring at times, luckily Bex had brought a puzzle book so I did that most of the journey as I finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which was a brilliant book by the way. It was super quick and easy to get out of the airport and hop in the coach which takes everyone to their hotels. The coach journey was quite quick and we enjoyed the scenery as we were driven to our hotel Parque de la Paz in Playa de las americas. When we got to our apartment we decided to dump our stuff off and head to the supermarket to buy food and water because you can't drink the water in Tenerife as it has too many minerals in and will therefore make you ill as we're not used to it. But I felt faint as soon as we got in our room, I lied down on the sofa to recover and I thought I'd be fine as soon as we got out of the apartment and got some water. So we grabbed some money and rushed out but I started feeling sick, I was gagging but not throwing up, I decided I wouldn't be able to walk with them as I could bearly stand up so Marn and Bex went by themselves, leaving me on the sofa. I knew what it was, I'm super sensitive to heat and we'd just left a very cold England plus I hadn't really had enough to eat or drink all day so that didn't help.

Luckily my friends found a vending machine with water in so they brought me some and then went to the supermarket. I felt fine when they came back. I was very glad, I didn't want to be ill on holiday! We were hungry so we had a pizza they brought from the shop. The cooker was a bit tricky to use and we weren't sure if it was even working! Stupidly, Marnie put her hand into the cooker to see if it was hot and burnt her arm! She had a little scar she kept complaining about but it was her own fault!

We didn't do much that day as we arrived in the afternoon and surprisingly there was no time difference over there! Our apartment was lovely, we had TWO balconys! There were two single beds pushed together and two sofas so we took it in turns for one of us to sleep on the sofa which was very comfy anyway. The bathroom was decent, we had a great shower but sometimes there was little hot water. After we'd eaten we changed into our bikinis and decided to check out the beach that was literally 2 minutes down the road, we didn't realise how close we were! It was lovely warm sand and a cool sea. Because we went in the evening it wasn't crazy hot it was just right but still very sunny. When it got too cold we decided to find a resturant to eat as it was our first night and it just had to be done! We found a very cheap place where you could sit outside but under a tent type thing. Crazily enough it was 3euros for a cheeseburger, chips and coke! The burger didn't really taste like a burger, it was more like sausage meat as the meat was actually pink when you bit into it but it was still okay for the price and it didn't make us ill so it must have been ok!

We went back to the hotel afterwards and checked out the evenings entertainment which was a very pretty lady called Cara, she sung there almost every night and she was okay but it wasn't our sort of thing so we headed back to the hotel room and played cards for a bit. There were some blokes next door to us who were really funny! Chavy, but funny. I started singing "Are you ready for love?" and they sung back! Ha! And when we played cards Marn asked "What are we playing?" and I joked "Strip poker" and the boys shouted "Can we come round and join in?". At least we thought they were funny until they woke us up at about 3am shouting and swearing and slamming doors with reception ringing them every five minutes telling them to shut up. We didn't like them so much after that...it disrupted Marnie's sleep but luckily I was SO knackered I slept through most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment